The Al-Mahdi Institute is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations. The Special Consultative Status is reserved for NGOs that have special competence in, and are concerned specifically with some of the activities of the field of activities covered by ECOSOC, and tend to be smaller in size. This status allows Al-Mahdi Institute to participate in number of events, including, but not limited to, the regular sessions of ECOSOC, its functional commissions and its other subsidiary bodies. At these sessions, which usually take place once a year, Al-Mahdi Institute as an NGO in Special Consultative Status may:
- Attend official meetings;
- Submit written statements prior to sessions;
- Make Oral Statements;
- Meet official government delegations and other NGO representatives;
- Organize and attend parallel events that take place during the session;
- Participate in debates, interactive dialogues, panel discussions and informal meetings.
This NGO status is a platform through which AMI outreach can benefit from exposure to diverse and current international trends, as well as being a significant means to allow for the ideas of the Al-Mahdi Institute to contribute to discussions on the international forum.